600 gms King Salmon Fillet (skin on preferable)
2 cups Quinoa
3 cups Water
6 each Red Radish – thinly sliced into rounds
1 cup Water Cress – picked leaves & tips
½ cup Celery – thinly sliced + middle leaves from the bunch
1 each Green Apple (Granny Smith) – thinly sliced
½ small Radicchio (could substitute with a small red lettuce) – ripped into small pieces
1 each Fennel Bulb – thinly sliced
2 each Lemons – juice & finely grated zest
50 mls Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt & freshly cracked black Pepper to taste
To cook the Quinoa
- Using a fine mesh strainer rinse the quinoa under fresh running water for a few minutes & allow to drain.
- In a suitable pot place the quinoa & cover with the water, bring to the boil & allow to simmer for approximately 15 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Remove from heat, & reusing the strainer to drain the water from the quinoa & run briefly under cold water to cool & stop the cooking process.
- Place the cooled quinoa in a mixing bowl.
To cook the Salmon
- In a heavy based fry pan place a small amount of cooking oil & bring the pan up to a med to high heat.
- Place the salmon into the pan skin side down (even if not using the skin continue the same method). Allow the salmon to cook two thirds through, skin side down then turn the heat off the pan, turn the salmon & allow to cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat & allow to cool.
- Reserve any salmon oil from the pan & allow to cool, this will assist to dress the salad.
- Dress the quinoa in the bowl with the lemon juice, olive oil & reserved salmon oil & season to taste.
- Add all other ingredients except the salmon & gently mix to combine the ingredients evenly.
- Place the quinoa salad into your chosen service bowl.
- Using a fork, flake the salmon into chunky pieces, if you have cooked with the skin on (which should be crispy) then with a knife rough chop the skin & sprinkle it over the salad.
- Place the flaked salmon pieces on top of the salad & serve.