24 Live NZ Greenshell™ Mussels (debearded and cleaned)
150mls Olive oil
1 large Garlic Clove – minced
1 Onion – roughly chopped
3 Ripe Roma tomatoes – chopped (possible substitute would be tinned Roma tomatoes)
250mls White wine
1 Tbsp Basil Pesto
3 rashers Streaky Bacon (rind removed)
150gms Feta (cows feta crumbly salad style)
1 Baguette (French Stick)
2 Tbsp Fresh basil – rough chopped (saving a small amount for garnish)
1 Tbsp Fresh Italian Parsley – rough chopped (saving a small amount for garnish)
Flaky Sea Salt to taste
Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
- Portion the baguette & rub with the garlic & then brush with olive oil. Lightly toast & keep warm to serve with the mussels.
- In a heavy based sauce pan sauté rough chopped bacon in the olive oil till crispy then sauté onions & garlic in the bacon oil till soft & transparent.
- Add ½ the wine & tomatoes, allowing sauce to come up to the boil, and then simmer for approx 8-10min to reduce the sauce. To finish the sauce, season to taste & stir in pesto, remove the sauce from the pot & store in a suitable container
- Wash & reuse the heavy based sauce pan, place on the heat with a lid till very hot, place the mussels into the pot with the remaining wine & return the lid allowing the mussels to stem open (discard any unopened mussels).
- Return the tomato sauce to the sauce pan with the mussels, allowing the sauce to come back up to boil, correct the seasoning & just before serving add the fresh herbs.
- This alternative cooking method for the mussels uses a BBQ to add a smoky BBQ flavour
- Replace step 4 above with instructions below:
- Have the mussels ready in a medium to large stainless steel pot (with metal handles as well) or similar size stainless steel mixing bowl.
- Pre-heat the BBQ flat hot plate by setting to high heat, cook the bacon (cut into long strips) with a small amount of olive oil till crispy, then gather into a pile in the middle of the hot plate. Pile all the fresh mussels on top of the bacon & moving very quickly pour the remaining white wine over the mussels & being very careful of the steam cover the mussels with the pot or bowl allowing to stem open the mussels (this may take approx 2-5 minutes). Carefully remove the bowl & place both the mussels & the bacon back into the warm tomato sauce pot (discard any unopened mussels)