“This is an extremely decadent breakfast or brunch dish that makes a wonderful and irresistible start to a leisurely weekend. Great served with a little fresh herb salad on the side.”
25ml white wine vinegar
8 free range eggs
4 English muffins
16 slices smoked salmon
For the hollandaise sauce:
250g unsalted butter
4 free range egg yolks
1 tsp tarragon or white wine vinegar
Juice of ½ a lemon
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1. Bring a pan of water to the boil gently, then add the white wine vinegar. Poach the eggs in the pan for 3- 4 minutes or until soft.
2. Split the English muffins, then toast until golden.
3. Lay 2 slices of smoked salmon onto each muffin half, then top each with a poached egg. Spoon over the hollandaise sauce and serve.
1. Melt the butter gently in a pan over a low heat. Allow to settle for a few minutes, then carefully pour off the clarified liquid into a small jug, discarding the buttermilk. Set aside.
2. Put the egg yolks, vinegar and a splash of water in a bowl, place this over a pan of simmering water. Keeping the heat very low, whisk the mixture vigorously until you have a thick, pale and aerated emulsion (yolk mixture has doubled in size).
3. Once nice and thick, remove from the heat, then gradually whisk in the melted butter until incorporated. Add the lemon juice, then season to taste with sea salt and cayenne pepper.