There is a lot of debate and misinformation surrounding the feed requirements of New Zealand’s aquaculture industry.
Here are the facts:
- Greenshell Mussels and Pacific Oysters require no added food – they are filter feeders and take all their nutrients from the ocean.
- New Zealand farmed King salmon are fed manufactured diets specially blended for the King species.
- Skretting supplies 85 per cent of all King salmon food in New Zealand.
- The diet contains fishmeal and oil sourced primarily from the well managed and sustainable Peruvian anchovy fishery (www.fishsource.org)
- Great progress has been made over the past decade in reducing the reliance on marine resources used in New Zealand salmon farming (see report)
- New Zealand Salmon farming currently produces more fish protein than it consumes – for every tonne of fish protein consumed, 1.19 tonnes is produced.
- Feed used in New Zealand salmon farming contains no vaccines, antibiotics, steriods or growth promoters.
- Wild salmon consume between 10 and 20 tonnes of wild fish per tonne of salmon produced.
*Information supplied by Skretting
Click here to download full report: The use of Marine Resources in New Zealand Salmon Farming