Takutai Trust is the working name of the Maori Aquaculture Settlement Trust. The Takutai Trust was established to administer the Maori Commercial Aquaculture Claims Settlement Act.
The Takutai Trust receives the aquaculture settlement assets from the Crown or regional councils, and holds and maintains the settlement assets until they are transferred to the Iwi Aquaculture Organisations.
The Takutai Trust works with all the iwi who are beneficiaries of the Aquaculture Settlement to recieve assets.
The duties of the Takutai Trust are:
- Allocating and transferring settlement assets
- Holding and administering settlement assets pending their allocation and transfer
- Determining allocation entitlements
- Maintain an iwi aquaculture register and providing access to the register
- Facilitating steps by iwi organisations to be recognised as iwi aquaculture organisations
- Facilitating steps by iwi aquaculture organisations to reach agreement
- Notifying coastal end points in the Gazette
* For more information visit the Takutai Trust website